st: RE: MAC crash despite 40000 KB

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: MAC crash despite 40000 KB
Date   Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:45:13 +0100

Phung Lang

> Thank you for the suggestions to the multiple response
> question.  I will
> have to try them out soon.  But I have a question regarding
> Lee's answer.
> I see in his attached program that it is for version 7.0.
> I have Stata
> 6.0,  would that be a problem?

Yes.

1. In general terms, you cannot run Stata 7 programs
under Stata 6, or programs written for version n on
any previous version < n.

2. Sometimes the version number is cosmetic
and could be changed down with no effect.
In fact, Lee's program  makes much use
of various constructs used in Stata 7. It
could, in principle, be back-translated to Stata 6.
You could try that yourself, or someone might
volunteer.

3. Generally again, many user-programmers
find that it is to their advantage
to exploit the features of the latest
Stata and make their programs available
on the basis "If this is usable and useful to
you, that's fine by me". Some put effort
in maintaining versions which will run
on earlier Statas: Roger Newson is
one example.