RE: st: fonts

From   Finne H�kon <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: fonts
Date   Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:09:38 +0200

In June 2002, I asked:
>How can I get a font for the do-editor that makes it easy
>to distinguish the left, right, and double quotation marks
>when they appear together? I am using Stata 7 for Windows ...

and Ronan Conroy answered:
> ProFont, which is available for the Mac, is probably
> available for other
> platforms as well. It's free, and can be tracked down at the
> usual sort of
> net software repositories. It's designed for programming and
> makes all the
> distinctions you need between confusable characters.

But how does the Stata do-file editor find the fonts it is willing to work
with?

Hans J Baumgartner provided the answer in October:
> ...the do-file editor accepts fixed-width
> TrueType fonts only. If you install such a font, it appears in the
> edit/preferences menu.

Spurred by this new information I have now found ProFont for Windows in a
fixed-width TrueType edition:
http://www.tobiasjung.net/profont/index.html
By downloading the zip file , opening it and dragging the ProFontWindows.ttf
file to the Windows Fonts directory, this font is installed and is indeed
made available for the Stata do-file editor. The opening (left) single
quotation mark is clearly slanted as expected and the closing (right) single
quotation mark is vertical (i.e., not symmetrically slanted with the left
one) but at least they are distinctly different.

--H�kon