st: RE: GMM Estimation for Panel Data

From   "Steven Stillman (LMPG)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: GMM Estimation for Panel Data
Date   Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:14:56 +1300

Bersant.  You can run ivreg2, gmm on data that has been first-differenced or
mean-differenced (for fixed effects) to correctly produce iv-gmm results for
panel data.  As the standard errors in these models are based on large
sample properties you do not need to correct the standard errors for the
reduction in degrees of freedom resulting from differencing the data,
although there is some debate out there to whether a correction should still
be done.  An extension to ivreg2 (I am a co-author) to handle all panel data
models is currently in the planning stages but I am not sure how soon it
will be available.

Steve

The information contained in this document is intended only for the
 addressee and is not necessarily the views nor the official
communication of the Department of Labour.  All final/official papers
which are sent from the Department will be sent by non-electronic
means, on appropriate letterhead, signed by authorised personnel.