Re: st: SPSS to STATA

From   Laurel A Copeland <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: SPSS to STATA
Date   Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:06:07 -0400

A free program that can be used instead of Stat Transfer is EpiData (http://www.epidata.dk/). You can download it quickly wherever you are (I use it when I am on the road).

It will let you define a *.qes file to match your *.txt file, tab delimited. Then you can Import the *.txt file, using the *.qes file to define your variables -- names, variable types. Then the resultant EpiData file can be exported to Stata. I tried it with a ds that had the first 10 lines all missing data, and the variables were nonetheless numeric in Stata, having been defined as numeric along the way.
hth, Laurel