st: ssc desc ?

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   StataList <[email protected]>
Subject   st: ssc desc ?
Date   Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:28:37 -0400

If you have ever given the ssc desc (letter) command, e.g. ssc desc a, you will have found that the routines listed are in no particular order and often contain duplicate listings. Courtesy of Alan Riley of StataCorp, who has cleaned up my perl code for generating/maintaining these 27 (a-z,_) stata.toc files, the listings now are much more attractive--in alphabetical order, and free of duplicates. Thanks again to Alan.

The lexicographic reader might be interested to note that the only letter of the alphabet that Stata authors have not made use of is 'y'. Why I do not know. It so happens that there are no official Stata commands starting with 'y', either--just a bunch of timeseries functions having to do with yearly data. Perhaps what we need from Nick Cox's graphics workshop is the 'yetigraph' -- comes out as white-on-white, providing ultimate security for highly sensitive empirical findings.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/