st: difficulty using META command and exporting output in Stata

From   "Hopkins, John" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: difficulty using META command and exporting output in Stata
Date   Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:08:49 -0400

Hello everyone.

I am working on a meta analysis of studies looking at the risk of cancer in
asthma patients.  We are using the META command to generate our summary
estimates (we have adjusted odds ratios, with standard errors).  I am trying
to take pooled estimate and confidence limits out of the table as variables,
without manually typing them in.

Here is what I typed into stata to generate the output tables:
meta loggeneff seloggeneff, eform graph(f) cline xline(1) xlab(.1,1,10)
id(studygen) b2title(gender-specific estimates) print

Here are the output tables:

Meta-analysis (exponential form)

       |  Pooled      95% CI         Asymptotic      No. of
Method |     Est   Lower   Upper  z_value  p_value   studies
-------+----------------------------------------------------
Fixed  |   1.068   1.038   1.099    4.489    0.000      2
Random |   1.073   0.989   1.165    1.689    0.091

Test for heterogeneity: Q=  8.025 on 1 degrees of freedom (p= 0.005)
Moment-based estimate of between studies variance =  0.003

                   |      Weights      Study       95% CI
             Study |   Fixed  Random     Est   Lower   Upper
-------------------+----------------------------------------
  Vesterinen Males | 2013.93  280.27    1.12    1.07    1.17
Vesterinen Females | 2646.46  289.91    1.03    0.99    1.07

How can I save the summary estimate and confidence limits from the analysis
(random effects) to variables?  I need to take these values and do some data
management and additional analysis with them, and I do not want to
hand-enter every estimate generated from the command.

I tried both the "return list" and "estimates list" commands, but they did
not seem to give me anything useful.  In general I would like to manipulate
any of the meta-analysis output this way; a complete list of command output
estimate variable names would be most helpful.

META is a user-written command, and the authors' listed email addresses
don't appear to be current.  I have also tried tech support with my
question.

Any information you can provide about this would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance for considering this.

Kind Regards,
John
-------
John Sloan Hopkins, Epidemiologist
Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Research
RTI Health Solutions
3040 Cornwallis Road
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2194
phone: (919) 541-7199