Re: st: Re: stability tests (fwd)

From   baum <[email protected]>
To   StataList <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: stability tests (fwd)
Date   Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:31:06 -0400

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Friday, October 11, 2002 14:16 +0100
From: Pauline Rogers <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Re: stability tests

At 08:29 11/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:
[email protected]
Dear Chris,

I hope I am replying to the right person.

The error 'and' actually refers to a problem in reading/finding temporary
files. I had this message last week and referred it to Stata Corp help
desk. The answer is to refer to all temporary files as "`temp'" not `temp'
for example:

tempfile temp
save "`temp'"

I am working under windows 2000 and it is something to do with the
operating system not recognizing embedded blanks.

Pauline Rogers

Pauline A Rogers MSc CStat (Mrs)
Statistician
Cancer Research UK
Colorectal Cancer Unit
St Mark's Hospital
Northwick Park
Harrow
Middx
HA1 3UJ

Tel: 020 8235 4256

Fax: 020 8235 4277

It appears that -hansen- is making use of tempfiles in a way that one would now code as 'preserve' and 'restore'. Some modifications to hansen.ado could deal with the issue of embedded blanks in the filenames, but this method of using tempfiles is probably much less desirable than using preserve/restore (which will, for instance, restore the original data if the routine aborts, or the user hits break).

It would seem that a temporary fix for the use of -hansen- (and other elements of the time series library) could be had by avoiding spaces in filenames (which probably include directory names as well), or by avoiding Windows 2000 (an option sadly absent from many users' choice set).

Kit
Christopher F Baum, Boston College Economics, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA
[email protected] http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-v/baum.fac.html
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/