st: How to reference tempvars across ML programs?

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How to reference tempvars across ML programs?
Date   Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:47:34 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

ML programs written in ado file form comprise a main program and
another program (or programs) called each iteration to evaluate the
likelihood. Advice please about how to reference in the likelihood
evaluation program(s), temporary variables that are created in the main
program.

More details:
In myp1.ado I currently have code like
	generate z`i'`d' = uniform()
generated in a loop, where `i' = 1,...,$M, and `d' = 1,...,$D (and both
$M, $D are user-defined).  The -ml- command in this file calls
myp1_ll.ado in which I do calculations referring to each variable
z`i'`d', again within a loop over `i' and `d'.

I can make the program work in this way, but note that the "z" prefix
means that I am generating permanent variables with a specific name
(a Bad Thing as far as programming is concerned).
How can I make these indexed variables temporary but still refer to
them correctly?
I've played around with using -tempvar- commands within myp1.ado, but I
don't seem able to refer to these (suitably indexed) in myp1_ll.ado.
(Note too Manual [P] macro entry, p. 133, that warns that one cannot
suffix temporary variables with additional characters and use them.)
Another idea was to use global macros to hold the variable names
created, but again I couldn't get this to work.

thanks for any advice and suggestions.
Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER)
University of Essex, Colchester, CO4 3SQ, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1206 873374. Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk