Re: st: RE: crude odds ratio (crude?)

From   Richard Herrell <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: crude odds ratio (crude?)
Date   Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:35:34 -0500 (CDT)

The crude odds ratio is the unadjusted odds ratio.  ORs may be adjusted
for confounding factors using either stratification methods (Mantel
Haenszel ORs) or logistic regression.  The calculation from a 2 x 2 table
(ad/bd) is the ML estimate of the crude OR and should be identical to the
OR from a logistic model with a single dichotomous IV.  The Mantel
Haenszel methods are available in Stata also (see the epitab section of
the reference).

Richard Herrell, Ph.D.
Section on Developmental Genetic Epidemiology
Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program
National Institute of Mental Health
National Institutes of Health
15K North Drive, Rm. 208 (MSC 2670)