Re: st: caching -- and Stata users in UK universities

From   Brendan Halpin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: caching -- and Stata users in UK universities
Date   04 Oct 2002 17:22:45 +0100

Nick Cox <[email protected]> writes:

> In my experience, it
> sometimes means that an update of Stata is not
> "visible" to you until some days after it has
> been announced or mentioned on Statalist.
>
> I can't add much more except to say that the cache is in
> effect offsite as far as a user is concerned,
> so that I don't think it can be subverted
> by using software on your machine other than Stata.

Rumour has it that appending a "?" to a URL will prompt caching
software to fetch the original, as it suggests to it that the page
is dynamic (and therefore not cache-able). So if you suspect
http://www.stata.com/interesting.html has changed, ask for
http://www.stata.com/interesting.html? instead. If it really was a
dynamic page, the ? would precede assignment of values to variables
like "query=logit+lang=en" or some such.

No warranties that this will work with the caching system in
question, and maybe it's difficult to do from within Stata, but it
might help.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Dept of Government and Society, Limerick
University, Ireland Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h