RE: st: how to make xi dummies inherit labels

From   Roger Harbord <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: how to make xi dummies inherit labels
Date   Fri, 04 Oct 2002 15:07:33 +0100

--On 04 October 2002 14:02 +0100 Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> You can also get the most up to date version by ssc
install reformat,
> replace. I just did.
>
> ! version 1.1.3  26Aug02 arb
> *! Reformats the output from regression commands
> *! (c) Sealed Envelope Ltd, 2002

Then why doesn't it work for me???  :

___________Stata output starts ____________________

. which reformat
c:\ado\stbplus\reformat.ado
*! version 1.0.2   9mar00 arb
*! Reformats the output from regression commands

. ssc install reformat, replace
checking reformat consistency and verifying not already installed...
all files already exist and are up-to-date.

. which reformat
c:\ado\stbplus\reformat.ado
*! version 1.0.2   9mar00 arb
*! Reformats the output from regression commands

Can anyone make any sense of this??

Your -reformat- which you were running is in c:\ado\stbplus.

-ssc- installs -reformat in c:\ado\stbplus\r, off this,
or off of this, as our U.S. friends often say.

If you type

. which reformat, all

my guess is that you will see the two
separate files, and Stata's -adopath-
rules give precedence to c:\ado\stbplus.

Also, -ssc- did not in fact -replace-
any file, so you got no message to
that effect.

I don't know how the older -reformat-
got in that directory. Perhaps it
was put there by hand.

I suggest you

. erase c:\ado\stbplus\reformat.ado

and everything should be OK.

Yup, Nick's quite right. I'd just worked out myself that that was the problem, after first suspecting our cache server like Bill Gould and re-installing 'by hand' using netscape, then finding it had made no difference.

I've got several other programs installed in c:\ado\stbplus\ too, so perhaps I should move them to the appropriate subdirectory to prevent this happening again. I'm sure I didn't install anything in there by hand myself, so I'm not sure why they're not in a subdirectory. I changed from Intercooled Stata to StataSE in June - could that have anything to do with it?? Or did I use a different command, rather than -ssc install-, which put them there? I'm afraid I can't remember precisely how I installed each package - I usually do it via the 'Help' menu.

Thanks to everyone who answered my original query or tried to work out why the solutions weren't working! I think I need to get on with the analysis now..
(Consider that an attempt to close the thread.)

Roger.
Roger Harbord mailto:[email protected]
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/