st: RE: substr() addition

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: substr() addition
Date   Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:40:19 +0100

Adrian.P.Mander

> Is there a better way of trucating a string variable? I
> just wanted to delete the
> last two characters of a variable and had to do use the
> reverse() function
>
> gen str20 newdose = reverse(substr(reverse(dose),3,.)
>
> I was wondering whether it would have been better to have
> the option in
> substr() to go backwards along the
> string perhaps instead of having a .  having a -. :) hence
> instead of going
> to the end of the string with the .
> you could actually go to the start of the string....?

In addition to Michael Blasnik's comment, note
that that substr(<string>,-2,2) returns the
last two characters of <string>, either a string
variable or a specified string, although Adrian wants the
others.

Depending on why you want to delete the
last two characters, there may be another
solution with -subinstr()-.