Re: st: sample selection with bivariate probit

From   "Erik �. S�rensen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sample selection with bivariate probit
Date   Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:58:17 -0400

Just so this is fully clear to me: The model you want has 4 equations

ln w_a = b1x1 + e1 wage-offer abroad
ln w_f = b2x1 + e2 wage-offer home
ys1= b3x2 + e3 participating in labour market if ys1>0
ys2= b4x2 + e4 migrate if ys2>0
with (e1,e2,e3,e4) distributed multivariate normal.

Am I correct? This is similar in spirit to Heckman and Sedlacek (1986) model of static sectoral choice. It has been estimated by Nielsen and Westergaard-Nielsen (2001?) and Paul Glewwe (1999) in his book on school quality in Ghana.

I estimated such a model in my MA thesis on return to human capital in rural Pakistan, and have coded it for Stata's ML command if your are interested.

Best regards,
Erik

--
Erik �. S�rensen, <http://www.geocities.com/erik_oiolf/>
phd student economics, Norwegian School of Economics

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/