st: RE: RE: RE: RE: tabulation of variables

From   "Banya, Winston" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: tabulation of variables
Date   Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:43:03 +0100

Thanks Nick. It seems to work but some of the variables are not numeric and
so when I took that into account I am geeting an error message.

I wrote in  the last line you sent me: list 'v2' if 'v1'==. | 'v1'=="&" and
then the error message was that 'v1'is an invalid name. Note the in this
database the missinbg value for a string variable is designarted as &. How
can I modify it ?

Winston

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Winter [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 23 September 2002 16:23
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: RE: tabulation of variables

Unless I'm misunderstanding, then my code will do it for you.  Calling
your variables v1 to v50:

	foreach v1 of varlist v4-v50 {
		foreach v2 of varlist v1 v2 v3 {
			tab `v2' if `v1'==.
		}
	}

It is not one line, but it is pretty quick and easy to do.

If you actually want the cases listed, rather than tabulated, just
substitute "list" for "tab" above.

If you want to list all three of the variables v1 v2 v3, then:

	foreach v1 of varlist v4-v50 {
		list v1 v2 v3 if `v1'==.
	}

--Nick Winter

 Nicholas Winter, Ph.D.                     P 202.939.5343
 Policy Studies Associates                  F 202.939.5732
 1718 Connecticut Avenue, NW     [email protected]
 Washington, DC 20009-1148           www.policystudies.com