st: RE: Re: automatic line graph generation from tabsum function

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: automatic line graph generation from tabsum function
Date   Sat, 27 Jul 2002 12:49:22 +0100

Gretchen Caspary

> > Graphics question.
> >
> > I want to be able to automatically produce a series of
> simple line graphs.
> >
> > I am doing a tabsum with "census tract" and "month" on
> the x and y axis,
> > respectively, and showing mean "number of claims" in the
> body of the
> table:
> >
> > tab census month, sum(num_claims)
> >
> > which will produce a big table.  I want to be able to
> *automatically*
> > generate a line graph for every "census tract" row.

Scott Merryman

> If I understand this, you want to graph the mean number of
> claims by month
> for each census tract.
>
> First generate the mean number of claims:
> egen average_claim = mean(num_claims) by(census)
>
> Sort variables so they are in the correct census and month order:
> sort census month
>
> graph:
> by census: graph average_claim year, c(l)

Cleaning up a few typos here

egen average_claim = mean(num_claims), by(census month)
sort census month
by census: graph average_claim month, c(l)

In fact, I think the following should work

bysort census month: egen average_claim = mean(num_claims)
by census : graph average_claim month