Re: st: RE: Programming Problem

From   Antoine Terracol <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Programming Problem
Date   Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:37:02 +0200

Guido,

Here's a quick-and-dirty solution that seems to work. it uses local macros and scalars, so it's pretty fast. I guess you'll find a way to pass the number of votes from the dataset to scalars.
however, the sequence of dividers here is "1,2,3,4,...,m"

Hope this helps,
Antoine.
clear

/*fill in the number of seats and the number of parties*/
local totalseat=6
local nbparties=4

/*fill in the number of votes*/
scalar nbvp1=41000
scalar nbvp2=29000
scalar nbvp3=17000
scalar nbvp4=13000

local i=1
while `i'<=`nbparties' {
local nbs`i'=0
scalar nbv`i'=scalar(nbvp`i') /*scalars to be divided during the loop*/
local i=`i'+1
}

local string "scalar(nbv1)"
local i=2
while `i'<=`nbparties' {
local string "`string', scalar(nbv`i')" /*builds the list of votes to be compared*/
local i=`i'+1
}

local i=1
while `i'<=`totalseat' {
local j=1
local done=0
while `j'<=`nbparties' {
if scalar(nbv`j')==max(`string') & `done'==0 {
local nbs`j'=`nbs`j''+1 /*increment the number of seats*/
local done=1
scalar nbv`j'=scalar(nbvp`j')/`nbs`j'' /*divide total votes by number of seats+1*/
}

local j=`j'+1
}
local i=`i'+1