st: Re: append's behavior

From   baum <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: append's behavior
Date   Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:14:53 -0400

--On Friday, July 19, 2002 2:33 -0400 NickW wrote:

Even better, how about having -append- return the number of common
variables, and the number of unique variables from the master and using
datasets?  Then one could automate the checking of whether it worked...
I agree, these would be useful outputs. But unlike merge, which can do many things and thus often needs to be checked (via tab _merge, etc.), append in the mode that it is usually used is a one-trick pony: it just concats the datafiles. Now I see that it is capable of doing fancier things, and sometimes that might be what someone is trying to do. But I guess something that would give a warning when the number of variables in the two datasets differ, and a severe warning when they lack any commonality, would be helpful. In my experience, most of the time when using append one doesn't think that either of those conditions should occur.

Kit
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/