Re: st: Cross-Sectional Time Series

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Cross-Sectional Time Series
Date   Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:15:25 +0100 (BST)

Seconded.  That was very instructive.  Thanks!

--Mark

Quoting anirban basu <[email protected]>:

> Hi David and Vince,
>
> Thanks for your insights and helpful comments. This was a good
> learning
> experience..
>
> Anirban
>
> ______________________________________
> ANIRBAN BASU
> Doctoral Student
> Harris School of Public Policy Studies
> University of Chicago
> (312) 563 0907 (H)
>

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Vince Wiggins, StataCorp wrote:
>
> > I have one additional comment in the continuing thread
> comparing the results
> > of -regress-, -xtreg, fe-, and -xtreg , re-.
> >
> > While I agree with the comparisons between the models
> presented by Mark
> > Schaffer <[email protected]> and David Drukker
> <[email protected]>, there
> > is a more mundane reason why the example presented by
> Anirban Basu
> > <[email protected]> elicits virtually identical
> estimates from
> > -regress-, -xtreg, fe-, and -xtreg, re-.  The short answer
> is they have to be
> > identical, at least to machine precision of the
> computations.
> >
> > Anirban Basu asks us to generate data in the following
> manner,
> >
> >     . mat C= (1, 0.6, 0.6, 0.6 \  0.6, 1, 0.6, 0.6 \ 0.6,
> 0.6, 1, 0.6 \  /*
> >  	*/ 0.6, 0.6, 0.6, 1)
> >     . drawnorm y1 y2 y3 y4, n(1000) means(1 3 4 7) corr(C)
> >     . gen id=_n
> >     . reshape long y , i(id) j(time)
> >
> > Anirban is using -drawnorm- to create 4 correlated variables
> and then
> > -reshape- to turn these into a panel data with 4 values for
> a single y.  This
> > is a fine way to create data with a random effect.  Here are
> the first three
> > panels:
> >
> > . list in 1/12
> >
> >             id       time          y
> >   1.         1          1  -.0939699
> >   2.         1          2   2.265574
> >   3.         1          3   2.323656
> >   4.         1          4   6.053069
> >   5.         2          1   1.367081
> >   6.         2          2   3.062155
> >   7.         2          3   4.830178
> >   8.         2          4   7.105754
> >   9.         3          1   1.145398
> >  10.         3          2   4.087784
> >  11.         3          3    3.99791
> >  12.         3          4   6.942679
> >

> > Anirban, the asks us to try the OLS, fixed-effects, and
> random-effects
> > estimators on this data by typing,
> >
> >      . regress y time
> >
> >      . xtreg   y time , i(id) fe
> > and,
> >      . xtreg   y time , i(id) re
> >
> > What is unusual about this model is that we are including
> -time- as a
> > regressor.  Note that we have perfectly balanced panels of 4
> observations
> > each, and that the variable -time- exactly repeats itself --
> counting 1, 2, 3,
> [...]

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.