st: RE: grouping data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: grouping data
Date   Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:09:01 +0100

Rodrigo Brice�o

> I have data about discharges by service in a variable called "servicio".
> For some reason hospital divided the Obstetrics service in those 6 groups.
>
> HOSP. OBSTETRICIA
> HOSP. OBSTETRICIA C
> HOSP. OBSTETRICIA P
> HOSP. PEDIATRIA
> OBSTETRICIA C
> OBSTETRICIA P
>
> What can I do in order to aggrupate the 6 discharges values in a
> unique service called Obstetrics?  I need this aggrupation in
> order to calculate Average Lenght of Stay.

I will guess that this is a string variable.

What unites five of these cases is the occurrence
of "OBSTETRICIA", so one criterion to catch those is

if index(servicio, "OBSTETRICIA")

and for the other case a criterion is

if servicio == "HOSP. PEDIATRIA"

or the slightly more general

if trim(servicio) == "HOSP. PEDIATRIA"

So what you want might well be (all one command)

replace servicio = "OBSTETRICIA"
if index(servicio, "OBSTETRICIA") |
trim(servicio) == "HOSP. PEDIATRIA"

Here

if index(servicio, "OBSTETRICIA")

is short-hand for

if index(servicio, "OBSTETRICIA") > 0

-index()- is documented as a string function.

The underlying principle behind that short-hand is explained at

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/trueorfalse.html

or in Stata Journal 2(1), 86-102 (2002): see Section 5
of that article.