st: RE: how to generate groups based on some characteristics and obtain the mean/median value for each group

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: how to generate groups based on some characteristics and obtain the mean/median value for each group
Date   Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:38:47 -0400

For this piece, try something like this.  First, generate four variables
indicating the 4, 3, 2 and 1-digit industry codes for **ALL** records,
named ind1, ind2, ind3, ind4.  Then:

	* generate the number of records in each group
	forval i=1/4 {
		sort ind`i'
		by ind`i': gen num`i'=_N
	}

	* group the records
	gen finalgrp = ind1
	forval i=2/4 {
		replace finalgrp = ind`i' if num`i'>=10
	}

This should create the variable "finalgrp", which will contain the
grouping you desire.  THen you can calculate whatever statistics you
want in those groups.

Nick Winter