st: RE: thanks and summing up

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: thanks and summing up
Date   Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:39:25 +0100

Preeti Rao wrote

> I am not very sure if i am supposed to sum up. But i would like to do so
> and also thank for the instant helpful replies i got inspite of my queries
> being "newbie" type.

followed by an excellent concise report summarising the answers received
and what actually worked in a thread started by Preeti.

The Statalist FAQ at

http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq/#advice

makes this suggestion:

> Continuing or closing a thread you started is important, especially by
answering
> secondary questions and by reporting what solved your problem.

Sometimes a thread appears naturally closed when there is a clear
and definitive answer.

At the opposite extreme, silence as the collective answer to
questions of the form "Is there a Stata program to ...?"
usually means "No!".

In between, it is unfortunately common that people in response to an
unclear posting ask secondary questions which are never
answered by the original poster. This can only be deprecated.

So, please pay attention to this advice, as in effect Preeti
has done.