st: RE: looping

From   "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: looping
Date   Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:19:20 -0400

In general, you will get better feedback if you include the output from
a program that isn't working, which will usually give clues about
*where* the program is breaking.  That said, there are several things
here:

-- Don't capitalize the commands -- Stata is Case Sensitive.

-- No need to generate the time variable inside the loop; in fact, this
will crash on the second time through.

-- When referring to a local macro, be sure to distinguish the opening
and closing characters -- ` vs '

-- No need to define a program to loop.  You can do this as:

	set memory 32000
	set matsize 800
	use d:\all_variable.dta
	foreach v of varlist v1-v100 {
	    lomodrs `v'
	}

--Or you could do the loop with numbers rather than variables:

	forval v=1/100 {
	    lomodrs var`v'
	}

--Nick Winter