Re: st: Follow up: cox models in SAS and STATA

From   [email protected] (Roberto G. Gutierrez, StataCorp.)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Follow up: cox models in SAS and STATA
Date   Fri, 07 Jun 2002 11:31:51 -0500

Thomas Moliterno <[email protected]> asked:

>> This is a follow-up message to my recent post re: coding cox models in SAS
>> and Stata (original message copied below).  Thanks to helpful feedback from
>> the list regarding differences in how failure events are coded in the two
>> programs (my original message below has been edited to reflect this
>> feedback), I am now showing the same number of failures in the two programs.
>> But I'm still getting different values for the coefficients!  I've confirmed
>> that the data has transferred properly from one program to the other, and
>> that records with missing variables that are being dropped in Stata are also
>> dropped in SAS.  What else could be the problem?!?

to which I replied:

> A quick comparison of SAS and Stata on fitting a Cox model to the cancer
> data revealed no substantive difference.  Hence, we are now working
> privately with Thomas to reconcile the differences he is experiencing.  We
> will report to the list once this is resolved.

Thomas and I worked privately to resolve the discrepancy between SAS and
Stata.  Stata's -stcox- and SAS's PHREG did indeed give the same results
with his data, once we adjusted the data manipulation pieces of the code
so that both procedures operated on precisely the same data.

--Bobby