Re: st: Census/Demographics Datasets

From   Roberto Ferrer <[email protected]>
To   Stata Help <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Census/Demographics Datasets
Date   Mon, 6 Jan 2014 03:41:41 -0430

I think Steve Samuels pointed you in the right direction. As suggested
in two of those pages, you can try using -copy- and -unzipfile- to
download all the data to your local drive and unzip it. Afterwards,
you can worry about importing it to Stata. The "readme" file
indicates:

"We are unable to provide one-on-one support for applications of the
data to specific spreadsheets or
data base software."

So my quick guess is unless someone has already done it and made the
files public, you won't find them as Stata data files.

Also,

"Once the package is unzipped, the files are in flat ASCII format."

So that gives you a head-start on the importing task.

Anyway, for the downloading and unzipping you can try:

*--------------- begin code --------------------

clear all
set more off

local sitestub "http://www2.census.gov/census_2010/04-Summary_File_1/";
local states Alabama Alaska
local statesabb al ak

local targetdir "~/Desktop/data/"

local n : word count `states'

forvalues i = 1/`n' {
    local a : word `i' of `states'
    local b : word `i' of `statesabb'

    display `"`sitestub'`a'/`b'2010.sf1.zip"'
    copy `"`sitestub'`a'/`b'2010.sf1.zip"'  `targetdir'

    display `"`targetdir'`b'2010.sf1.zip"'
    unzipfile `"`targetdir'`b'2010.sf1.zip"'
}

*--------------- end code -----------------------

This may work because the URL has a fixed structure. Something like:

http://www2.census.gov/census_2010/04-Summary_File_1/STATE/STATE-ABBREVIATION-2010.sf1.zip

So create a list of USA states and their abbreviations, save that into
macros, and using extended macro functions,
loop to create links for each state and download. The code above has
two states and two abbreviations. You need to complete it (easily done
with an internet search) and change the macro -targetdir- to your
desired target directory. The -display-s are just there so you can
check the links that are being created.

See -help macro-, -help extended_fcn-, -help copy-, help unzipfile- and

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/programming/looping-over-parallel-lists/