Re: st: Census/Demographics Datasets

From   Michael Stewart <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Census/Demographics Datasets
Date   Sun, 5 Jan 2014 22:15:46 -0500

HI  ,

I am not sure if I understand your answers properly and I apologize if
there is any confusion.

I am looking for demographic details of USA(as a whole) and individual
states. The procedure recommended by census.gov website seems to be
cumbersome(http://www.census.gov/2010census/news/press-kits/summary-file-1.html)
i.e.,I have to download the census files for each individual state
(total 52 times) to get census of USA .

Therefore, I was requesting if any stata list subscriber would know of
an easier, less cumbersome method to download the datasets directly
over the internet(preferably in stata format).

Please let me know if  know any link/website where I can download such
datasets .

Thank you again for your time .

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM, Steve Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Stewart <[email protected]>:
>
> There is related information at:
>
> 1. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19498050/stata-python-downloading-
> files-from-a-ftp-site-in-stata-or-in-python (The accepted answer was
> supplied by a well-known Statalister.)
>
> 2. www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-01/msg00852.html
>
> 3. http://blog.stata.com/2010/12/01/automating-web-downloads-and-file-
> unzipping/
>
> If files are not in Stata format, you can run StatTransfer commands in
> Stata via -shell-.
>
> Steve
>

> On Jan 4, 2014, at 8:09 PM, Nick Cox wrote:
>
> You could start with the help for -use-. The very first example shows
> -use- in play reading a .dta file over the internet. The same
> principles apply to other forms of data file.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>

> On 4 January 2014 19:41, Michael Stewart
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to download Census/demographics datasets  from Internet
>> to stata directly . Thank you very much for your time.

Thank you ,
Yours Sincerely,
Mike.