Re: st: Calculating elasticities with an endogenous covariate in a translog production function

From   Norman M <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Calculating elasticities with an endogenous covariate in a translog production function
Date   Mon, 2 Dec 2013 09:26:30 -0500

I'm sorry for  not providing the code. The basic idea is as follows. I
need to estimate a translog function, that by definition has the
following form:

LnY = b0 + b1*LnK + b2*LnL + b3*LnK*LnL + b4*LnK*LnK + b5*LnL*LnL

where Y is output, K is capital and L is labor. Thus, Y is a function
of K, L, and all possible interactions (K-L, K-K, L-L). Now, K and L
are usually endogenous. For simplicity let's say only K is endogenous,
and let's assume a good instrument is the number of firms in the
market (nfirm).  Using Greene's dataset, the code is Stata should be
as follows:

* Data
use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r12/greene9

* Basic OLS regression (this one works!)
reg lnv c.lnk##c.lnl c.lnk#c.lnk c.lnl#c.lnl

* IV Regression
ivregress 2sls lnv c.lnk##c.lnl c.lnk#c.lnk c.lnl#c.lnl (c.lnk = nfirm)

The error message I got is:

lnk included in both exogenous and endogenous variable lists
r(498);

I'm trying to find a way to carry out this IV estimation. Can somebody help me?

Norman M