Re: st: RE: additional observations when merging data sets

From   Katie Farrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: additional observations when merging data sets
Date   Mon, 2 Dec 2013 10:01:19 -0500

Thanks, Joe.  What I mean is that I'm keeping unmatched data from
memory (the set I'm working with), but dropping observations from the
new file that don't match to observations in my working data set.  So
I am keeping the matches from the two data sets but also the ones from
the primary data set that don't have matches in the secondary (but not
vice versa).

So the code is something like:

use "C:\Users\kmfarrin\Desktop\Malawi Data STATA\data_11_21_13.dta", clear

joinby case_id using "C:\Users\kmfarrin\Desktop\Malawi Data
STATA\smooth_ln_dd.dta", unmatched(master)

I have 2056 observations in my working data set.  When I run the
command I have 2106. This code is matching household identifiers, but
I get the same problem when I'm matching using community identifiers,
which are not unique to households.  I can see when I look at the data
that I'm getting multiple observations with the same household ID,
when I have already cleaned the data so that I only have one
observation per household.