st: Efficient parallel computing in Stata/MP

From   Demian Panigo <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Efficient parallel computing in Stata/MP
Date   Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:01:55 -0300

Dear Statalist members: I need some help, because I'm not sure about
some Stata/MP properties for parallel computing.
We know from http://www.stata.com/statamp/statamp.pdf that many
estimation commands (e.g. regress) are almost fully parallelizable and
that average efficiency for all commands is around 72%. So, in
standard linear regression problems (e.g running one million equations
for parameter stability analysis), using Stata/MP in a multiple-core
CPU would be an optimal time saving strategy.
However, it is also possible to exploit the multi-core CPU environment
by working with multiple parallel Stata/MP instances (e.g. using 4
parallel Stata/MP instances to run 250.000 linear regressions with
each core).
My question is simple.... Can I save some time by using this "dual
parallelism" methodology? (because parallel computing is
authomatically used by Stata/MP to parallelize internal tasks of, for
example, regress; and because I also parallelize the whole set of
regressions between 4 cores, by means of multiple Stata/MP instances).
Thanks in advance