Re: st: about residuals and coefficients

From   Lucas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: about residuals and coefficients
Date   Wed, 18 Sep 2013 08:08:34 -0700

Dear David,

This is why I do not understand why you prefer the "per unit increase"
phrasing. Many (probably most) analyses use cross-sectional data.
Thus, nothing is increasing or decreasing. The coefficients describe
the relationships, but there is no reason to suspect -- just on the
basis of cross-sectional data -- that change in an X will lead to the
slope's change in Y.

For example, if I regress earnings on yrs of education and age, that
doesn't mean that a 30 year old with 12 years of schooling will be
expected to increase their earnings by the increment of the slope for
years of education by going to college for 1 year.

It seems to me of the two potential disservices we can do to students,
teaching them "per unit increase" is far more misleading than teaching
them "other things constant" because at least the latter is an
accurate representation of what the cross-sectional data can allow.

Think about it like this.  If my model is:

$ = b_0 + b_1 Yrs Ed + b_2 Age + e

then the model summarizes two planes.  The plane for YrsEd has a
constant slope, i.e., the slope of the plane for Yrs Ed does not vary
regardless of where you are on the plane for Age.  And, vice versa. If
for theoretical, prior research, or other reasons I estimate:

$ = b_0 + b_1 Yrs Ed + b_2 Age + b_3 Age^2 + e

then the "plane" for Age has become a curved surface which means its
slope varies for values of Age. Still, the slope for YrsEd  is
constant.  So, the interpretation of the YrsEd slope seems unchanged.
And so on.

Of course, observational data does not usually fix the values of the
independent variables, and experimenters can (up to a point). But
there are other ways of addressing this than changing the
interpretation so that it is either inaccurate or unduly confusing.

Anyway, if we want to be as faithful as possible to what the data can
say, we should avoid "per unit change" in favor of "per unit
difference" because for cross-sectional data -- i.e., what is usually
used -- change is obviously beyond the ability of the data to support.

Other issues (e.g., being on the support vs. extrapolating off the
support) obviously come in as well.

Sam