Re: st: about residuals and coefficients

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: about residuals and coefficients
Date   Wed, 18 Sep 2013 15:04:51 -0400

Dear Sam,

Your comments reflect a number of misunderstandings.

For any set of data, the phrasing "per unit increase" accurately
reflects the underlying mathematics.  Thus, it cannot be a disservice.
 As I have mentioned earlier, "other things constant" does not reflect
the way that multiple regression actually works.

Your example of regressing earnings on age and years of education is
puzzling.  In cross-sectional data the comparison would be between
persons 30 years of age with 12 years of schooling and persons 30
years of age with 12 + 1 years of schooling.  As a predictor variable,
however, education is usually expressed as a set of categories,
corresponding to the major steps in the education system.  The
coefficients for those categories would be differences from the chosen
reference category, adjusted for the contribution of age in the data.

For the model

$ = b_0 + b_1 Yrs Ed + b_2 Age + e

the usual plot would put earnings on the z-axis, Yrs Ed on the x-axis,
and Age on the y-axis, and the fitted equation would describe a plane
(not two planes).  You may be intersecting that plane with planes that
are perpendicular to the y-axis and the x-axis, respectively.  That
picture does not alter the interpretation of b_1 and b_2.

In the model

$ = b_0 + b_1 Yrs Ed + b_2 Age + b_3 Age^2 + e

the coefficients b_0, b_1, and b_2 have different definitions from the
b_0, b_1, and b_2 in the previous model.  The definition of each
coefficient in a multiple regression includes the set of other
predictors in the model.  Now b_1 is the slope of Earnings against Yrs
Ed, after adjusting for the contributions of Age and Age^2.  Thus, the
interpretation of b_1 in this model differs from the interpretation of
b_1 in the previous model.

The difference between "per unit change" and "per unit difference" is
only semantic.  I said "per unit increase" because that is how slopes
are defined.  The meaning should always be consistent with the context
of the data.

The geometric representations of those two models are sometimes
useful, but least-squares fitting in a multiple regression involves a
different geometry.  If the data consist of n observations, y is a
vector in n-dimensional space, and the fitted regression is the
projection of the y-vector onto the subspace spanned by the constant
vector, the Yrs Ed vector, and the Age vector in the first model and
onto the subspace spanned by the constant vector, the Yrs Ed vector,
the Age vector, and the Age^2 vector in the second model.

David Hoaglin