st: RE: loop in variables labels

From   "Barclay Matthew (SHEFFIELD TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: loop in variables labels
Date   Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:01:43 +0100

Hello Haluk,

I would try:

foreach number in 3 6 9 {
    rename _`number'_DAYS_X_X DAYS_`number'
}
foreach number in 3 6 9 and so on {
    rename _`number'_WEEKS_X_X WEEKS_`number'
}

You could do this in one nested loop, but that will become complicated if you have more WEEKS variables than DAYS variables. There might be a way to do this in one line using -renvars- (SSC), but even though I do this kind of rename frequently I think it's easier to write a quick loop than figure out the correct syntax.

Hope that helps,
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Haluk Vahaboglu
Sent: 15 July 2013 12:35
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: loop in variables labels

Dear listers,

I have some a *.dta file that is imported from an *.xls with some 30 variables named as _3_DAYS_X_X; _6_DAYS_X_X; _9_DAYS_X_X;_3_WEEKS_X_X; _6_WEEKS_X_X; _9_WEEKS_X_X and so on.
I want to rename all these var names using a foreach loop to DAYS_3; DAYS_6...;WEEKS_3... and so on.
I could not find a help in FAQ or internet search.
I would appreciate any help

Regards

Prof. Dr. Haluk Vahaboğlu
Istanbul Medeniyet