st: How do I import a macro-enabled Excel worksheet into Stata 12?

From   John Bensin <johnalexbensin@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: How do I import a macro-enabled Excel worksheet into Stata 12?
Date   Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:25:26 -0500

I have an Excel 2010 worksheet that's saved as a macro-enabled
worksheet (.xlsm). When I attempt to import it into Stata 12 with this
command:

import excel "finances.xlsm", sheet("Budget") firstrow clear

it returns an r(603) error of "file finances.xlsm could not be
loaded". The documentation describes the error with:

"This file, although found, failed to open properly.  This
error is unlikely to occur.  You will have to review your
operating system's manual to determine why it occurred."

Does Stata 12 not support .xlsm files, or is there another problem at
work here? I use a fully updated Stata 12 on Windows 7 64-bit, with
Excel 2010.

John