st: Differencing problem

From   Michael Betz <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Differencing problem
Date   Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:20:11 +0000

I am trying to use the "d." operator to get differenced observations but am having some trouble. When I try to calculate differenced observations using

gen newvar=d.(var)

Stata returns each observation as missing. My data has observations for each variable in each of two time periods and variation exists over the two time periods. I've used the "d." before without problems so I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Any help is appreciated.