st: RE: Stata 13 - Graphics?

From   Timothy Mak <tshmak@hku.hk>
Subject   st: RE: Stata 13 - Graphics?
Date   Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:51:15 +0800

Hi Allan,

I think I'm also a bit disappointed there's no improvement to the graphics system or to Mata, but I think Stata 13 is a massive release and the features that have been introduced make a lot of sense. Hopefully in the next one or two release we'll get what we want!

Tim

PS I'm hoping for a revamp of -graph combine-, so that one can combine graphs by matching plot regions axes rather than graph regions axes. Graphs with overlapping areas shaded in different colors would also be very useful (similar to SSC's -drarea-). Preferably this can be implemented by allowing transparent coloring in all graphs.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Allan Reese (Cefas)
Sent: 19 June 2013 18:01
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: Stata 13 - Graphics?

I can see no reference in the release notes to enhancements to the graphics commands, and the Graphics manual has no "What's new?".  Are there no new features?  More worryingly, do the developers see no scope for new features in graphs?  Items I've commented on in the past include a wider range of plotting symbols for points, the problem of aligning Y axes when multiple graphs are stacked, and a way to refer within a graph command to a "pen color" in a style.

Allan