Re: st: Do file editor in Stata 12 for Mac

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Do file editor in Stata 12 for Mac
Date   Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:11:58 +0200

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Tunga Kantarcı wrote:
> I would like to ask a non-technical question. I have a do file with many
> lines of code. In Stata 12 Windows version, in my do file, I used to divide
> the code into sections and fold each section between two curly brackets so
> that the folded part of the code is hidden in the do file which tidies up
> the code. But I recently moved to Mac and now using Mac Stata 12 version.
> The do file editor now does not facilitate the use of curly brackets to
> fold lines of code. I wonder why and if there is a way I can achieve this.

If I feel the need to hide long parts of code in my .do-file (in my
case that would often be tedious recodes of many many occupational
titles) I typically store that part in its own .do-file and whithin
the main .do-file I just type -run This will
always work, and the added advantage is that it is often the tedious
part that you want to hide that you can re-use in related projects.
Having them in a seperate file makes that very easy.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin