Re: st: Survival Analysis

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: Survival Analysis
Date   Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:07:18 -0400

The time frame of a retrospective review (your 1994 to 2012) is irrelevant to the survival analysis setup, which formally needs a start date, end date, failure indicator, and covariates.

The definition of a survival cohort usually begins with a range of start dates; an example :"all patients presenting at so-and-so clinic with a diagnosis of such-and-such, from dates A through Z, followed to death or to date W").
You may restrict to those whose records received the special review, but the important question is: what determined which records were reviewed?  Unless the reviewed records were  100% or, effectively, a random sample of those eligible, you risk selection bias. So more information on the definition of your cohort would be helpful.

I am curious about where you are doing this work, as an internet search finds no links to your name except for two Statalist posts this month.