Re: Re: st: getting user-written commands presented at Stata user meetings?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: getting user-written commands presented at Stata user meetings?
Date   Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:34:01 +0100

I think this has already been answered, but the most common reasons I
can recall from those meetings I've been to are very simple:

0. Programs have already been posted, e.g. on SSC, or there's an
intent to post there soon.

1. The author considers the work as very much under development.

2. The code would not be of wider use because it is too closely linked
to stuff of some kind in the programmer's environment. do-files are an
obvious example.

3. The author wishes to publish in a more formal journal before releasing code.

Some of the habits of users' meetings go back to the first users'
meetings in London. In the early years the number of Stata programmers
was very small and many talks were on applications or were tutorial
talks. (One speaker omitted to mention Stata altogether, which was
felt to be going a bit far, so he's been banned for life.)