st: Mata buffered read 64-bit integer (8 byte/int64), how?

From   Sergiy Radyakin <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Mata buffered read 64-bit integer (8 byte/int64), how?
Date   Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:12:36 -0400

I read a 32-bit integer value from a buffered file with d=fbufget(C,fh,"%4bu").

How do I read a 64-bit integer from the same file when Mata does not
support format "%8bu"? And what can be the type of the LHS (type of
variable d above) to accommodate the result of the read without the
loss of information (double is not good, not sure about quad

I can read it as 8-bytes string, or 8 individual bytes, but I also
need to work with the result as a value in Mata. So looking for a
convenient solution.

Thank you,