Re: st: Going through each observation of a variable

From   Derya Karaci <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Going through each observation of a variable
Date   Sat, 8 Jun 2013 11:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi David,

Organization of the data is that I simply copy-pasted these prices in the data as additional variables. The variables Price1 and Price2 has 500 observations, each row representing a price vector. os1 and os2 are the expenditure shares for each individual and has 80,000 observations.

I am computing Y for each individual as the expenditure share of good1 for each individual (os1), multiplied by price of good 1 (P1) plus the same for good 2. If I had only a single price vector, this is straightforward to compute. I could just write 'genY=os1*P1+os2*P2'. But I have 500 different price vectors. I would like to generate Y 500 times, and take the average across the 500.

The program I posted choose randomly from these price vectors. But I don't want randomness at this stage. I would like to compute Y for each price vector one by one...This is what I meant by replication.

Here is an example with 3 price vectors and 10 individuals to show what I am trying to do: https://www.dropbox.com/s/boslxhpkyljcq45/Book1.xlsx

Thanks again, greatly appreciated!

Derya