st: Appending multiple large datasets

From   Ryan Stevens <stevrl7@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Appending multiple large datasets
Date   Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:57:32 -0400

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a problem appending 2 datasets containing roughly 1
million observations each. I'm currently running Stata 12.0. My code
can import each dataset fine, but it always gets hung up when I try to
append the two datasets. My code using temporary files is below and is
very simple. I've tried creating physical .dta files and saving them
and that did not work. I can assure you my directories work fine, so
it's no issues with names of my files. I'm wondering if there are any
thoughts on where this problem could lie.

clear
capture log close
set memory 100m
set more off