st: R: label variable: curious response

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <carlo.lazzaro@tiscalinet.it>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: R: label variable: curious response
Date   Thu, 30 May 2013 18:05:14 +0200

Dear Michael,
very odd indeed.
Your code works successfully for me in Stata 12.1.

Best regards,
Carlo
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Per conto di Michael McCulloch
Inviato: giovedì 30 maggio 2013 17:39
A: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Oggetto: st: label variable: curious response

Greetings!

I'm scratching my head over the following error message:

. sysuse nlsw88, clear
. gen wt = int(uniform()*10)
. la var south ?Lives in the south?

invalid syntax
r(198);

Even though the Help Label instructions show examples of labels containing
spaces, that error message is not reported if I change the command to:
. la var south ?Lives?

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Best wishes,
Michael McCulloch, LAc MPH PhD

--
Pine Street Foundation, since 1989
124 Pine Street | San Anselmo | California | 94960-2674