st: label variable: curious response

From   Michael McCulloch <>
Subject   st: label variable: curious response
Date   Thu, 30 May 2013 08:38:58 -0700

I'm scratching my head over the following error message:

. sysuse nlsw88, clear
. gen wt = int(uniform()*10)
. la var south ”Lives in the south”

invalid syntax

Even though the Help Label instructions show examples of labels containing spaces, that error message is not reported if I change the command to:
. la var south ”Lives”

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Best wishes,
Michael McCulloch, LAc MPH PhD

Pine Street Foundation, since 1989
124 Pine Street | San Anselmo | California | 94960-2674
P: (415) 407-1357 | F: (206) 338-2391 |