Re: st: label variable: curious response

From   David Kantor <>
Subject   Re: st: label variable: curious response
Date   Thu, 30 May 2013 11:54:49 -0400

At 11:38 AM 5/30/2013,  Michael McCulloch wrote:

I'm scratching my head over the following error message:

. sysuse nlsw88, clear
. gen wt = int(uniform()*10)
. la var south "Lives in the south"

invalid syntax

Looks like you attempted to enclose the label in quotes, but not the usual plain-text quotation marks.
Are you using a word-processor, rather than a text editor?