Re: st: RE: % of variance in factor analysis

Subject   Re: st: RE: % of variance in factor analysis
Date   Thu, 30 May 2013 08:20:03 -0400

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 5:19 AM, Mash Hamid <MXH191@bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks but my aim is to understand it but understand it in layman's terms not in statistical language. More googling has not helped and no pages are specific about what it stand for. My background is not in statistics thats why I am looking for a simple explanation.

You want us to teach you factor analysis, which is not a trivial
undertaking to do well "in layman's terms" and certainly not possible
in a few emails. Factor analysis is a complex statistical procedure
that requires informed knowledge on the part of the user. I've given
you several references, one which has a technically correct yet very
solid intuitive description (the Lattin, Carroll, & Green book). I
would get LCG and read it.

--
JVVerkuilen, PhD
jvverkuilen@gmail.com

"They were careless people, Tom and Daisy - they smashed up things and
creatures and then retreated back into their money of their vast
carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let
other people clean up the mess they had made." -- F. Scott Fitzgerald