st: Sunflower plots - discrete data

From   "Allan Reese (Cefas)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Sunflower plots - discrete data
Date   Wed, 29 May 2013 14:56:01 +0000

I made a sunflower plot of count v dose data and counted the petals (she loves me not) because the number of observations at each dose was the same.  The petals did not report the correct number of observations, which I traced to a default setting in -sunflower- (and -twoway sunflower- ) of -light(3)-. So two coincident points are not identified on the default Stata sunflower plot.

As described (The Stata Journal Volume 5 Number 3: pp. 371-384), uncombined points are plotted at their natural position rather than centred in a cell, so -jitter(#)- would help. The -jitter - option is accepted but appears to have no action.

My suggestion would be to make the default -light(2)- as it can always be changed when the visible result is displeasing, but less obviously if the effect is not visible.

Allan