st: gamma family - alpha and theta parameters - xtgee

From   "Guillermo A. Sandoval (UofT)" <>
Subject   st: gamma family - alpha and theta parameters - xtgee
Date   Tue, 28 May 2013 23:36:31 +0000

I am using xtgee with gamma distribution. I understand that for gamma distribution, one needs to define the parameters alpha and theta, which define the shape of the distribution function. Please see My variable is continuous (mortality rates in hospitals) and distributes pretty much like the one in wekipedia that says k=1 and theta=2.

In xtgee, it looks like one cannot define these parameters. I guess my question is, is this necessary (if yes, how)? or xtgee  actually estimates them and I don't really need to worry about that?

Thanks in advance

Guillermo A. Sandoval
PhD Candidate in Health Services Research

Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto