st: Coverting variable to date and time

From   Neophytos Stylianou <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Coverting variable to date and time
Date   Fri, 24 May 2013 09:35:33 +0000

I am using Stata 12.1 and I have a variable containing date and time.

The problem is that it is a string variable and it contains both date and time within it.

I want to split them into date variable and time variable but also have the opportunity to have a date time combined variable.

Example of what the variable contains :

2005-02-19 09:38:00.000
2005-02-19 09:46:00.000

I want a variable of date i.e 19/02/2005 and time 09:38:00

I would do it manually if it was a small number of records but there are more than 1.3million rows

I know that I can combine the date and time variables which will be created using
gen double datetime = date*24*60*60*1000 + time
format datetime %tcNN/DD/CCYY_HH:MM:SS

Thanks for your help,