Re: st: Re: svmat is changing numbers - a rounding problem?

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: svmat is changing numbers - a rounding problem?
Date   Thu, 23 May 2013 10:11:11 +0100

I am not surprised that you think that and I am sympathetic.

Minimally, there is a fix to your problem and it is documented. The
more documentation you read, the more you will understand, but you are
a busy person too. Everyone has their own trade-off here.

Historically, giving users control over variable types was a feature
and reflected the fact that many users struggled with memory
limitations. It can't be said that struggle has gone away.

That doesn't rule out -svmat- being smarter on your behalf. In fact
that is programmable by users but these days, Mata is where the action
is. Again, that doesn't stop -svmat- being useful.

-svmat- is an old command that hasn't been rethought for a long time.
Implicitly I suggested small changes in 2000 that have not yet been

dm79 from
    STB-56 dm79.  Yet more matrix commands / STB insert by Nicholas J. Cox,
    University of Durham, UK / Support: / After
    intallation see help matcorr, help matselrc, help matvech, / help matvtom,
    help svmatsv, help matewmf, help matvec, / help matvsort, and help svmat2

This is a matter for StataCorp.  They have trade-offs too, notably
between enhancing old commands that aren't really broken and adding
exciting new stuff.