Re: st: 3-way continuous interaction - comparing simple slopes

From   Roman Wörner <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: 3-way continuous interaction - comparing simple slopes
Date   Wed, 22 May 2013 17:28:36 +0200

Dear David,

what I actually do is to regress two performance measures (return on assets and relative patent performance) on two strategies (strategy A and strategy B), their interaction and an additional moderator (vertical integration). Return on assets is negative for the bigger part of the sample - so, log or sqrt won't work. Relative patent performance (#of patents per employee) is null for the bigger part of the sample - again, log is not an option.

I argue, that the relationship of the two strategies changes with the vertical integration of the firm. Based on the regression results I plot simple slope diagramms (high/low levels of strategy A/B @low levels of vertical scope and of high/low levels of strategy A/B @high levels of vertical scope). I then want to test if the slopes @high levels of vertical scope are significantly lower than the slopes @low levels of vertical scope.

What the procedure described down below - lincom ($HzHw)-($HzLw) - does is to test whether the two slopes are different ("plain different") without considering the direction ("is one steeper than the other").

To get rid of the 3-way interaction I initially considered dichotomizing the vertical scope variable into two groups (high/low) and split the sample. But I think that would make the situation even worse --> two samples and two models would require out of sample tests to compare the slopes...

Kind regards,

Roman