RE: st: How to compare models after svy

From   Orian Brook <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to compare models after svy
Date   Wed, 22 May 2013 12:34:26 +0100

Thanks for your reply, Stas. Yes, I'm aware that what I usually use is a
likelihood ratio test, and I think I understand the explanation given by
Stata for why the usual logit postestimation commands don't work with
complex survey data. What I wasn't sure of was whether the F statistic could
in these circumstance be used to compare logit models, as the references I
found only referred to using it in relation to least squared regression.
However, and I'm sure it's my fault, I'm afraid that I found the links you
gave quite  technical and not too illuminating for how I can actually use
the Stata output.

All the reference that I find to using the F statistic to compare models
require me to compare the change in RSS for each model to the change in the
degrees of freedom - but Stata doesn't give me this, it gives me the Mean
Square Model divided by the Mean Square Residual.  I could use each model to
create predictions and manually calculate the RSS but I'm unsure of whether
this would work given it's a prediction from a logit.

If it helps to actually give you my output, the relevant F statistics I'm
getting are

F(  21,  16828)    =     65.97 and
F(  25,  16824)    =     56.93

Thanks so much for any further clarification

Orian